Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Ritalin of no long term benefit

That's what the headline to this article says.

To sum up, the study this article is talking about says that, although drugs like Ritalin may work well in the short-term, in the long-term (3 years by this study), they "brought about no demonstrable improvement in children's behaviour". The drugs also "could stunt growth".

Why am I putting this in a blog devoted to autism spectrum disorders? Several reasons.

First, ADHD runs in my family, and I know some people reading this blog might be affected by this.

More importantly, this study raises questions about the concept of drugging our children to improve behavior, something that very much effects the autism spectrum community. I didn't know autistic children were being put on anti-psychotic medications until recently, mostly due to the story of Krissy, the inspiration for Timberdoodle's autism center.

I guess I don't need to say it, but I will. This strikes me as very wrong. I mean wrong in the Forced-Hugs and Electrical-Shocks-Until-You-Say-The-Right-Word kind of wrong.

And what will happen if it turns out that these drugs do more harm than good? Those who pushed them will shrug and say, "We only wanted the best for your kids." Then they'll go on that lovely cruise they've been meaning to take.

No comments:

Post a Comment