Monday, June 16, 2008

Late again

This weekend has been a bit busy (I say that a lot don't I?) so I didn't have a chance to blog like I'd hoped on Friday. Soooooo, better late than never.

I did all right with trying to stay calm. Pregnancy hormones didn't help, but remembering to talk slowly helped keep me calm for the most part during a very stressful week, what with Sarah and Rachel still freaking out about the puppy. Rachel no longer sits on the chair when the puppy is out of his crate: she has footie pajamas (they were on sale and in a size 14 and just adorable) that she uses as a kind of protective suit. So, when the puppy is out, she'll put on her "suit" and walk through the house (no running because the puppy will chase her) with her hands on her head (so the puppy won't try to lick them). And every time the puppy licks her feet, she giggles and says "It tickles, Mama." :) Hopefully, as the puppy gets better with obedience training, she'll get more confidence around him.

Sarah on the other hand, swings back and forth between sitting on the chair and refusing to even come out when the puppy is out. I think a lot of it depends on whether or not she's eaten, what she's eaten, and how stressful the rest of her day has been since I've noticed she's less tolerant in the afternoon than in the morning.

Both of them love watching the puppy and will gladly go up to him when he's in his crate and try to play with him. It's only when he's out of his crate that they become terrified. Using a leash helps a little but not much and often it's not feasible.

On my to do list today... call up that equine therapy place and see what the requirements are to get Rachel and Sarah enrolled. It might be a bit much to continue during the fall, but I've been thinking for some time that this might be a very good thing... maybe even necessary for their development. I mean, if they can handle being around a horse, why on earth would they get upset around a puppy? Right?

Oh, and my posting this month will definitely be spotty. I've entered the June Capsule Contest at Stitcher's Guild because I am in desperate need of some maternity clothes and I haven't been satisfied with anything I've seen in the stores. Either it's the wrong color or the wrong style or... anyway. (As if I don't have enough to do already. :))

Goal for this week: Focus on lengthening interaction.

2 comments:

  1. What kind of dog did you get? I use to live with a family who had a daughter with down's syndrome. She loved the horse therapy! Good luck with your stitcher's guild!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We got a golden retriever... mostly. :) It's a mutt, though you really can't tell right now.

    ReplyDelete