Monday, September 22, 2008

The Explosive Child

I got this from the library the other day. I'd been looking for something to help with Sarah's meltdowns. She doesn't have them as often, but I was wondering if there was something the SR program didn't cover that maybe this book might help address. Or maybe some insight that will make it easier to do what I already need to do.

I'm thinking it will because already in the first chapter they've described Sarah's outbursts and anxiety. Rachel has come a long way from her rigidity but Sarah still has a deep need for security in structure that has very little to do with schedules as we define them. It's more a matter of sequence and order. For example, we still cannot sing a church song called I Am a Child of God without first singing Sing from Sesame Street and following it with another church song Families Can Be Together Forever. When she was two, that was the sequence I used to use to get her used to the songs from our church. My original plan was to switch out songs so she would have a wide variety of songs she had heard. Instead, we have a sequence that, six years later, cannot be altered without a meltdown.

So, we'll see what this book has to say about all this. I'll post a review as soon as I finish it. Considering it's a library book, that means sometime within the next three weeks. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment