Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Day One of No TV (during the week)

Well, today is the first full day of no TV during the week. I seem to be having a harder time with this than the kids. I swear it feels like there's something physically wrong in my head.

The kids are doing great. After I finished my morning routine and we had all finished breakfast, I got out the books and we read for a while. Then, I worked on laundry. Thank goodness because one of my (bored) sons had decided to explore a box, found a bottle of maple syrup and decided to paint his brother, and a 3 ft. radius around his brother, with it in their room. I threw the clothes in the wash, bathed the boys, did what I could to clean the mess, Mr. Vinca finished up while I worked on (a late) lunch and then I just relaxed for a bit.

Sarah's playing piano. Because no one is watching TV, there's no extra noise to annoy anyone, and there's no one complaining that they can't hear their movie because Sarah's "being too loud". Rachel's in her room playing quietly: soon we'll be doing her therapy/school (the two often combine) and then math and journal work with Becky and Sarah.

As for the flax oil, we've kept up on that for the past few days. For the first time today, Rachel asked me to put a hairband in her hair. She hasn't tolerated her hair pulled back for a few years now, and she has never, ever asked. I'm more than a little stunned and I wonder if the flax oil has something to do with it. Or it could just be a natural part of her growth, or one of the results of therapy or something else entirely.

I will mention that Rachel tolerates flax oil: she doesn't really like it. Personally, I enjoy it. I like the nutty taste. It goes especially good with yogurt but works all by itself, too.

Follow up: as for The Explosive Child, I wasn't able to finish it before I had to return it. Therefore, my review will have to wait. Just thought y'all should know.

No comments:

Post a Comment