Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Nate Tseglin

Nate Tseglin is a seventeen year old autistic boy, removed from his home because his parents actually did what their doctor recommended they do. No, wait. He was removed because his parents didn't want to drug him. No, wait...

I'm really not sure what to make of this one. The stories I've heard from people around me who have had dealings with CPS make me think that it's just a department filled with people who have no idea what they're doing: some care more than others. Stories like this, though, make me ill. I keep wondering what else could be going on, but the more I think about it, the more I get the feeling that this is really how it is. I'll add links as this story progresses.

First, from AutismVox: Nate Tseglin Removed From His Home and Institutionalized. Why?

Second, the actual article from the OC Register: Child Abuse By the Government (title not at all inflammatory /sarcasm)

This blog post from Adventures in Autism not only mentions the OC article, but also has a really great link to another blog on psychiatric medicine. It's an interesting take on the profession, and I agree with most of what's said. We've been very fortunate that Rachel and Sarah have never been self-destructive, just distant. Days like this I realize just how much of a blessing that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment