Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Federal Chelation Study?

We looked into chelation years ago. My husband and I both didn't feel right about it for several reasons, some of them specific to us, and some of them concerns about the treatment in general. Instead, we decided to pursue an herbally based program with a heavy focus on nutrition and proper preparation of foods (soaked grains, etc.) combined with interaction/play-based therapy.

That said, I've never felt parents who opt for chelation are making a bad choice. It's not one I would make, but that has no bearing on another parent's choice. Different kids and all that.

So, why do I feel squeamish about a possible federally funded study of chelation as it relates to autism treatment? Oh there are so many, many reasons.

Here are a few of my concerns.

  1. From my perspective, everything the federal government touches suffers. There are some things you want the feds involved in, but let's face it, the fewer entities the government takes over, the better the country runs. Getting the feds involved should always be a last ditch, no-better-way-out solution. I would much rather see universities research chelation, especially those with top-notch medical schools. Unlike tearing apart the synergistic nature of herbs, studying the effects of chelation should be perfect for researchers: a simple, straightforward process that already has D.O.'s who keep good records as a matter of course.
  2. Is the federal government as objective as some would like to think? A federal study is huge in its effect. Corporate influence is there at the university level as well but no university has the impact of a federal study (from what I remember anyway... it's been a long time since I had any respect for any study). What kind of corporate/PAC/lobby influence will we see in the chelation study?
  3. This is more about autism in general. I've seen too many studies fall into too many traps for many reasons that are endemic to researchers of many different fields. These include both studies that told me what I wanted to hear and those that didn't. The idea that mercury causes autism, though worthy of study, might also easily obscure other related theories that are just as valid: three off the top of my head include the idea that it's all the preservatives combined, there's a genetic predisposition toward side-effects/autism spectrum, and the vaccines weaken the immune system from the start.
  4. But I think this final one is the one that worries me the most: what if they find that chelation works? Now, if the studies are accurate, this would be all well and good... in fact it would be wonderful for parents. Just like vaccines were considered wonderful... for most kids. The problem was not that vaccines were good or bad. The problem is that the government decided everyone had to have them. My concern is that this study might be used to encourage parents to get a therapy that isn't right for them, that (just like public schooling and vaccines) parents who decide not to get the therapy will run the risk of harrassment at best. I don't even want to think about the worst.
I know, I know, I'm being paranoid about all this. Maybe. I've seen too much garbage, heard too many horror stories, and don't even get me started on what Texas did to the FLDS kids. Then again, I'm a mom and moms worry.

1 comment:

  1. I hope you will be able to do all the therapy and things you want to soon! Glad Rachel is doing better. Can't wait to see her pictures!

    ReplyDelete