Wednesday, August 6, 2008

A bit about blogging for fun and profit

There's a really great series going on right now at Money Saving Mom about blogging. I'm considering blogging as a possible way to bring in some money. It won't be much. Money, I mean. But it would be nice to bring in some extra.

The beauty of this series is that Mrs. Paine makes it clear that you can't just set up a blog and expect money in a few days. It takes time to link, advertise, spread the word, not to mention that the blog has to have some actual content. ;) I thought about making more of this blog but decided against it. I want to keep this one free of ads and other nonsense as long as I can. It feels better that way.

One of the reasons I've decided on blogging is because, after spending some time looking around on the Internet, I feel there should be more blogs dealing specifically with the problems of raising a large family on a single income, especially someone like me in the suburban Sunbelt. Techniques that work great for smaller families don't work so well, sometimes not at all, for larger families, like clipping coupons, for example. I rarely, if ever, use coupons because the amounts we buy would force me to create several transactions in order to take advantage of coupon savings. I've found it works better if we buy in bulk, buy from non-traditional sources, and make just about everything (including deodorant) at home (I'm even considering making our own laundry soap though I'm not sure if we'll see any savings). I know there are blogs out there about that, but I think the problems unique to living in Texas -- where homemade bread isn't an option in the summer if you want to save on your electricity bill -- and raising a large family might be something people would like to read.

Also, I think I can spend a half hour three times a week on it. Yeah, I think that's doable.

So, what do y'all think?

1 comment:

  1. I think that's a great idea. All you'd really have to do is get people in the ward reading it. Mckinney 3rd ward has a Relief Society website which is how I found out about the money saving mom site.
    good luck!

    ReplyDelete