Friday, August 22, 2008

a scripture discussion last night

Every night we read a little from the scriptures. Because we're Mormon, we have four canonical works, but the ones we focus on mostly with our kids are the Bible and the Book of Mormon. For the Bible, I use simple readers for now but I've found that with the Book of Mormon it's best to just read the scripture itself and explain the passages as best I can.

Last night, while I was talking about a guy named Ammon (a missionary) and the servants of the king Ammon has chosen to serve and how they had to protect the king's flocks from some bad men who wanted to scatter them, Sarah asked a question.

First off, it's the first time she's asked a question during scripture reading... at least, as far as I can remember.

Second, it was a "why" question. "Why did the bad men want to scatter the flocks?"

After I got over my brief moment of shock that Sarah was asking a question, let alone a question regarding motivation, I gave her the best answer I could think of ("I think they wanted to steal them. Let's keep reading and find out."). I'm just thrilled. Between this and the "what if" question the other day, I'm really excited to see what happens next.

I'm definitely putting that Floortime book on my list of things to get for the school year.

No comments:

Post a Comment