Thursday, February 19, 2009

Conversations 2

Yesterday, Granma and my brother came by to visit. All the adults were talking when suddenly I felt someone tapping my arm and turned to see it was Sarah. She said, with full eye contact, "Excuse me. It's my turn now." She then proceeded to talk to Granma and my brother. :)

***

This isn't really a conversation, but it touched my heart so I thought I'd share. Sarah got a copy of the Book of Mormon some time ago from a teacher. Becky keeps borrowing it, so when I was at the LDS bookstore yesterday, I bought her a copy and her sister Deb a copy (she'll be reading very soon). I didn't get one for Rachel because although she seems to want to learn how to read, she's not quite there yet in her pre-reading skills (getting closer each day though).

So, last night, we gave Becky and Deb theirs. Rachel, for the first time ever, looked deeply hurt. She's been upset before when she hasn't gotten a present while others get one. This time, though, she would look at me with a deeply hurt face and quietly walk away when I was around. For the first time, she absolutely refused to be comforted.

I found a copy of the Doctrine and Covenants and gave it to her. Her face lit up and she's been quietly happy ever since.

I guess I need to step up the work on pre-reading skills. :)

2 comments: