Thursday, February 19, 2009

disabilities.lds.org

Our church has a new website devoted to helping all its members in dealing with disabilities. On the left-hand side is a list of disabilities; autism has its own category.

I really liked the overview they gave of the challenges/differences that characterize those with autism, especially the mention of sensory overload. Church has always been a struggle for us because of the noise and crowds. We're at the point now where I feel comfortable taking the girls to Sacrament Meeting (it's my young boys I'm worried about now :). However, it took us a number of years to get to that point, and much, much patience on our part and on the part of ward members to work out a good solution for Primary (where the kids go to learn about Jesus).

I especially loved this tip for teachers. They have several but this one is the one that has helped the most both at home and church.

Provide frequent interaction and activity. It is unrealistic to expect a person with autism to sit for long periods and listen attentively. Don’t expect too much too soon. Patience, consistency, and caring will eventually bring progress.

This is a great resource, just for the information on autism alone. I would love for every member of my church, whether or not they work with someone in the spectrum, to read the information on this site.

No comments:

Post a Comment