Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Quick update

I've been focusing on my reaction to what the kids do and I'm seeing a difference already, the biggest difference being in my interactions with Sarah. By staying calm and talking slowly, it seems to help her keep from going into vapor lock when something upsets her. It also seems to help her be more reasonable when the answer is no. More about this on Friday.

On a somewhat different note, the rule regarding TV has really been working. One of the most fascinating things I've noticed is that when we stopped letting the kids watch during the week, my husband and I stopped watching movies at night after the kids went to bed (when we had cable it was the Daily Show/Colbert hour). Instead, we clean up whatever needs to be cleaned up, "shut down" (i.e. make sure doors/windows are locked and lights are off), and go back to our room where we write, read, play with the littlest one if he's awake, or just talk. That lasts about an hour or two at most and then we're usually in bed. Movies now are a very rare thing for us as a couple. And we don't mind it.

I mention this because it was a side-effect I didn't expect and thought others should know about.

No comments:

Post a Comment