Wednesday, February 25, 2009

our door and an update

Well, I finally did it. I finally got the alarm set up on one of our doors. I've explained to the kids in great detail the horrible consequences of opening the door without permission, as well as why you shouldn't go outside -- once again, without permission.

My goal with this is to eventually get our house to the point where I don't worry about having any difficulty getting outside quickly in an emergency. And where I don't worry about our two eldest wandering outside and all the dangers that might follow. I have to admit I feel much better doing this now that Sarah has memorized her full name, our address and appropriate phone numbers. She's also much better at communicating than she was even half a year ago. Rachel is almost there. She's gotten her name down and almost has our address memorized. I think between the things we've taught them and this alarm thing we're setting up, we're finally getting to the point where boundaries can be abstract instead of only physical.

Today is a good day... a good start. :)

Also, as follow up to Don't React, I can say with certainty that not reacting really does lessen the fits when they happen. Sarah is much more likely to stay calm as long as I stay calm inside. Even when she got upset this week, it didn't translate into a tantrum or mental vapor lock.

Next focus, eye contact. Will blog about that next time.

Oh, and I'm seriously considering getting some vocabulary cards for Rachel. More on that in a later post.

No comments:

Post a Comment