Thursday, February 26, 2009

A threat to older children's books?

CPSIA effectively bans pre-1985 children's books from sale. I got the email from my homeschool group this morning (arti cle they sent). I'm not entirely sure what it all means, but the little research I've done says that this article is accurate -- at the very least regarding how used booksellers and libraries are responding.

It seems the problem is that before 1985 lead was used in the illustration ink of most children's books. (BTW, children's books here are defined as books for those 12 and under). Now, the government is very careful to say that these books are not banned. The government isn't telling anyone to throw out these books. They just have to get them (or a large enough sample) tested to make sure that the books don't have excessive amounts of lead.

The problem is that the government is asking for expensive tests. Most used booksellers don't make the kind of money that would allow for those expensive tests, so guess where the books go?

Summary of how things stand (to the best of my knowledge):
  • "Vintage" or collectible books are safe. The government assumes only adults will be reading them.
  • Library books are safe for a year so that the government can get the required testing from said libraries.
  • Used booksellers either have to get the expensive tests done or chuck the books. It seems the most sane financial decision is to just chuck the books.
This is according to my research. I don't know about you, but I'm going to double-check some stuff and write to my local paper about this. The implications of this law are far more evil than I first thought when the focus was on used children's clothes.

2 comments:

  1. That's terrible for used book sellers. What were they saying about used children's clothes? Hope you are doing well!! How is your new little one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's doing fine.

    I've posted more info (including some links) on my other blog: http://homemakingcents.blogspot.com/. It's the Feb. 27 post (in case I post again before you read it). There was quite a fuss on among various industries about this new law, especially when people found out thrift stores and libraries were included. I think we've only hit the tip of the insanity iceberg on this one.

    ReplyDelete